Here's a quickie testable demo for the drop-down menus & the language hot area: http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/mockups/glaucus-quick/index.html
Load that up on your Android or iPhone and see how it behaves... has been tested on an iPod Touch. There's no icons or anything, but space for them -- the Wikipedia and 'You' menus are filled out and open but are non-functional. No page content or anything. --brion 02:26, 9 February 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for thinking about what a minimalist UI could look like. Some thoughts:
- I do think we'll want to keep a large, visible search field by default, at least until/unless we have evidence that collapsing it doesn't decrease search volume. Having a large area to tap here, which is clearly meant for typing, seems to me to be the most intuitive way to help people navigate.
- I'd love to play with more ideas for a simple, lightweight menu, because we'll definitely need one. I like the ideas in Glaucus, but I think we'll want to experiment with ways to slim them down.
- Simple lightweight indicator that the "W" is in fact a menu. Some of the Google apps use a tiny arrow for that , others use horizontal lines, but either way, if this is the main "action button", than suggesting a flow to the user would make sense to me.
- Simple menu layout. Path and other apps use slide-in menus  that maximize horizontal and vertical space, with a large tapping area for each menu item, and no icons. There's also a clear indicator here that a menu item is followed by other actions (the arrow), or that it's a direct action ("Sign Out").
- Here are a couple of attempts at header revisions. heather walls (talk) 01:49, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- I missed the action indicator, I will add that in.
Tablet optimized version?
There seem to be no thoughts/concepts on how this would work on tablets. Wouldn't we want a 2-pane UI for tablets? Yuvipanda (talk) 17:18, 5 March 2012 (UTC) Note the expectation in https://github.com/wikimedia/WikipediaMobile/pull/135#issuecomment-4327169 was that the about page should take up the full screen rather than be part of a 2 pane layout Jdlrobson (talk) 17:22, 5 March 2012 (UTC)