Our new multimedia team at the Wikimedia Foundation was formed to build features that will enable easier contributions and viewing of multimedia content to Wikimedia projects.
Here are our main user-facing projects at this time:
We invite your comments in these discussions:
Goals[edit | edit source]
Rationale[edit | edit source]
Multimedia enables users to learn about the world in vastly different ways than text articles. We believe that images, sounds and videos are key to engaging more users and supporting their diverse learning styles, as modern culture shifts towards more audio-visual than textual information delivery.
To better serve our users in this changing information landscape, we can greatly improve the educational value of our sites by empowering everyone to share media, collaborate on improving that media, and using that media well throughout Wikipedia, Commons, and MediaWiki sites.
2014 Goals[edit | edit source]
Here are the multimedia team's feature goals for the coming year:
- Improve the viewing experience
- Enable seamless contributions
- Help add media files to articles
- Better integrate Wikipedia and Commons
And here are our infrastructure goals:
- Improve the upload pipeline
- Implement structured data
Current projects[edit | edit source]
The multimedia team is now focusing on these near-term projects:
- Media Viewer
- Upload Wizard
- Structured Data
- Critical Bugs (e.g. Image Scalers)
- Discussions and roundtables
Status[edit | edit source]
As described in our improvements plan, these new features are being prototyped and will be carefully tested with target users in August, so we can validate their effectiveness before developing and deploying them in September. You can see some of our thinking in this presentation.
This month, we continued to work on the Structured Data project with the Wikidata team and many community members, to implement machine-readable data on Wikimedia Commons. We prepared to host a range on online and in-person discussions to plan this project with our communities, and aim to develop our first experiments in October, based on their recommendations. We also continued a major code refactoring for the UploadWizard, as well as fixed a number of bugs for some of our other multimedia tools.Last but not least, we prepared seven different multimedia roundtables and presentations for Wikimania 2014, which we will report on in more depth in August. For now, you can keep up with our work by joining the multimedia mailing list.
Team[edit | edit source]
Our multimedia team includes:
- Product Manager: Fabrice Florin
- Engineering Director: Rob Lanphier
- Senior Software Engineer/Team Lead: Gilles Dubuc
- Front-end Software Engineer: Mark Holmquist
- Back-end Software Engineer: Gergő Tisza
- Contract Software Engineer: Brian Wolff
- Interaction Designer: Pau Giner
- Community Liaison: Keegan Peterzell
Community[edit | edit source]
The Wikimedia Foundation invites community members from Wikipedia, Commons and other MediaWiki projects to discuss our plans through a variety of discussions about multimedia issues and new feature ideas. We hope you can join us for one of these events.
- Join our mailing list
To keep up with our work and participate in our conversations, please join our public Multimedia mailing list, where we discuss software tools that support the viewing, contribution, curation, discovery and use of multimedia content on Wikipedia, Commons and other MediaWiki projects. Learn more and subscribe to this list on this page.
- Current discussions
We invite your comments on these community discussions:
We plan to host more discussions this year, and our next dates will be posted below in coming weeks.
- Past discussions
Here are links to some of our recent discussions about multimedia with community members:
- Media Viewer Discussion on IRC - Wikimedia Office IRC Channel - Wednesday, April 16, 2014
- Media Viewer Discussion on IRC - Wikimedia Office IRC Channel - Friday, February 21, 2014
- MP4 Video Request for Comments - Wikimedia Commons - January 15 to February 14, 2014
- MP4 Video Discussion on IRC - Wikimedia Office IRC Channel - Thursday, January 16, 2014
- Multimedia Meetup - Wikimedia Office in San Francisco - December 9, 2013
- Roundtable 5 on Multimedia - Google Hangouts - December 4, 2013
- Roundtable 4 on Multimedia - Google Hangouts - November 27, 2013
- IRC Chat on Multimedia - #wikimedia-office - August 22
- Roundtable 3 on Multimedia - Wikimania 2013 in Hong Kong - August 8, 2013
- IRC Chat on Multimedia - #wikimedia-office - July 18, 2013
- Roundtable 2 on Multimedia - Google Hangouts - July 10, 2013
These discussions were generally found productive by all participants, and many community insights are now being included in the foundation's development plans. Thanks to everyone who participated in these invaluable conversations!
Communications[edit | edit source]
- Help Test Media Viewer - Blog post, February 2014
- A Multimedia Vision for 2016 - Blog post, January 2014
- Introducing Beta Features - Blog post, November 2013
- Scientific multimedia files get a second life on Wikipedia - Blog post, October 2013
- Breaking through walls of text: How we will create a richer Wikimedia experience - Blog post, April 2013
Related documents[edit | edit source]
- See also