Release status: stable
Translate the Vector skin if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Open tasks · Report a bug|
Vector is a skin for MediaWiki which became default on 2010-05-13 (MediaWiki 1.17, ), succeeding MonoBook. Wikimedia Foundation rolled out Vector on all its wikis in 2010, having created it in 2009 as part of the work done by the Wikipedia Usability Initiative.
Vector provides a number of usability improvements over its predecessor. It was the first skin to separate the flat level content_actions into the categorized content_navigation.
At the beginning the basic functionality was included in the core skin, while some of Vector's special features were handled by a separate extension (Extension:Vector). The extension has since been merged into the skin itself.
Installation[edit | edit source]
Vector" in your
and extract the skin in a directory called "
- Add the following code to your LocalSettings.php (at the bottom)
wfLoadSkin( 'Vector' ); $wgVectorUseSimpleSearch = true; $wgVectorUseIconWatch = true;
- Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the skin is successfully installed. Done – Navigate to
To users running MediaWiki 1.24 or earlier:
Those instructions describe the new way of installing skins since MediaWiki 1.25. If you need to install this skin in earlier versions, instead of
wfLoadSkin( 'Vector' );, you need to use:
Configuration options[edit | edit source]
wgVectorUseSimpleSearch[edit | edit source]
- Search form look.
- - true = use an icon search button
- - false = use Go & Search buttons
$wgVectorUseSimpleSearch = true;
wgVectorUseIconWatch[edit | edit source]
- Watch and unwatch as an icon rather than a link.
- - true = use an icon watch/unwatch button
- - false = use watch/unwatch text link
$wgVectorUseIconWatch = true;
Features[edit | edit source]
- Basic features of the Vector skin
- Reduced clutter, primarily by reducing the number of lines on screen
- More prominent placement of the search portal
- Visual separation of the content-action and namespace links, the former of which being divided into view tabs and action menu items
- Automatic increase/decrease of margins throughout the user interface based on browser size
- Use of a star icon for watch and unwatch actions
- Added features of the Vector extension (some of these features have later been merged into the Vector skin or into the MediaWiki Core or have been removed)
- Simplified search portal, including suggestions
- Collapsible navigation portals
- Alert when leaving an edit page without saving
- Automatic hiding of tabs that do not fit on screen
- Experimental Vector extension features
- Simplified footer content
- Search box expands on focus
- Section edit links are moved to be directly next to heading instead of on the right, and use an icon
- CollapsibleNav support via CollapsibleVector extension
Note[edit | edit source]
The collapsible navigation portals are now provided by the CollapsibleVector extension which will have to be installed additionally.
Another skin that follows vector is a more modern version of vector please visit Apex.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Skin:MonoBook - MediaWiki's previous default skin
- Skin:Modern - A previous (failed) attempt at replacing MonoBook with something more modern
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|