Release status: stable
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
Vector is a skin for MediaWiki which became default on 2010-05-13 (MediaWiki 1.17, ), succeeding MonoBook. Wikimedia Foundation rolled out Vector on all its wikis in 2010, having created it in 2009 as part of the work done by the Wikipedia Usability Initiative.
Vector provides a number of usability improvements over its predecessor. It was the first skin to separate the flat level content_actions into the categorized content_navigation.
At the beginning the basic functionality was included in the core skin, while some of Vector's special features were handled by a separate extension (Extension:Vector). The extension has since been merged into the skin itself.
Installation[edit | edit source]
This skin is included in the MediaWiki download tarball. You only need to install it separately if you installed MediaWiki using a different method.
Vector" in your
and extract the skin in a directory called "
- Add the following code to your LocalSettings.php (at the bottom)
- Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the skin is successfully installed. Done – Navigate to
Features[edit | edit source]
- Basic features of the Vector skin
- Reduced clutter, primarily by reducing the number of lines on screen
- More prominent placement of the search portal
- Visual separation of the content-action and namespace links, the former of which being divided into view tabs and action menu items
- Automatic increase/decrease of margins throughout the user interface based on browser size
- Use of a star icon for watch and unwatch actions
- Added features of the Vector extension (some of these features have later been merged into the Vector skin or into the MediaWiki Core or have been removed)
- Simplified search portal, including suggestions
- Collapsible navigation portals
- Alert when leaving an edit page without saving
- Automatic hiding of tabs that do not fit on screen
- Experimental Vector extension features
- Simplified footer content
- Search box expands on focus
- Section edit links are moved to be directly next to heading instead of on the right, and use an icon