The review queue consists of MediaWiki extensions and other code that must go through the review process before possibly being deployed to Wikimedia wikis. Writing an extension for deployment can be a time-consuming project; any interested party is encouraged to start the process long before any deadline.
To see all extensions awaiting review, the "Blocked by" list in T33235 links to all yet unreviewed/in-progress extensions.
Once an extension has made it through review (including design, security, and performance evaluations), then the extension can be scheduled for deployment by the Wikimedia Foundation Release Manager.
Checklist[edit | edit source]
- Create a tracking bug (see above) for the extension's deployment to Wikimedia wikis. This bug should only concern deployment itself, any sub-issues (that block deployment) should be separate bugs that are listed under "Blocked by" for this tracking bug.
- Create Extension: mediawiki.org page for developers and people who will install or configure the extension.
- Create Help:Extension: mediawiki.org page for the end user documentation. Cross-link it with the above.
- Request a project in Phabricator if none exists yet.
- Get the extension code in Gerrit.
- Request (and respond to) a product review, if applicable
- Request (and respond to) a design review, if applicable.
Request (and respond to) a performance review.NB: No longer needed. Ori/Aaron have decided not to do pre-deploy perf reviews.
- Request (and respond to) a security review.
- Make sure the extension is automatically branched. 
- Show community support/desire for the extension to be deployed, if applicable.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Create user documentation for the extension in the Help: namespace on MediaWiki.org, e.g. Help:VisualEditor/User guide. Screencasts can be useful in explaining how things work.
- Post your idea to the wikitech-l mailing list to get feedback from experienced developers and Wikimedians
- Communicate your ideas/plans to affected wikis to garner both support and suggestions/feedback