The review queue consists of MediaWiki extensions and other code that must go through the review process before possibly being deployed to Wikimedia wikis. Writing an extension for deployment can be a time-consuming project; any interested party is encouraged to start the process long before any deadline.
To get an extension into the review queue, please file a bug in Bugzilla using this semi-prefilled form.
To see all extensions awaiting review, there is a review queue tracking bug that links to all yet unreviewed/in-progress extensions.
Once an extension has made it through review (including design, security, and performance evaluations), then the extension can be scheduled for deployment by the Wikimedia Foundation Release Manager.
Checklist[edit | edit source]
- Create a tracking bug (see above) for the extension's deployment to Wikimedia wikis. This bug should only concern deployment itself, any sub-issues (that block deployment) should be separate bugs that are marked as "blocking" this bug.
- Create Extension: mediawiki.org page for developers and people who will install or configure the extension.
- Create Help:Extension: mediawiki.org page for the end user documentation. Cross-link it with the above.
- Request a component in Bugzilla.
- Get the extension code in Gerrit.
- Request (and respond to) a product review (more to come here...)
- Request a design review, if applicable.
- Request (and respond to) a performance review
- Request (and respond to) a security review
- Show community support/desire for the extension to be deployed, if applicable.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Create user documentation for the extension in the Help: namespace on MediaWiki.org, e.g. Help:VisualEditor/User guide. Screencasts can be useful in explaining how things work.
- Post your idea to the wikitech-l mailing list to get feedback from experienced developers and Wikimedians
- Communicate your ideas/plans to affected wikis to garner both support and suggestions/feedback
See also[edit | edit source]
- Review queue tracking bug
- Writing an extension for deployment
- Requests for comment — a place for discussion of large project ideas for MediaWiki
- Open Wikimedia/Site requests and Extension setup bugs with "need-review" keyword