MediaWiki:Sitenotice is displayed above the page title for all users, unless it is superseded by another notice.
The message is displayed if it is defined. 'Defined' means the sitenotice has content more than a single character '-'.
Which notice is displayed for a user is decided in this order:
- If the CentralNotice extension is enabled, it is displayed (even if not defined); see below.
- If the user is anonymous, MediaWiki:Anonnotice is displayed (if defined).
- Otherwise, MediaWiki:Sitenotice is displayed (if defined).
- Otherwise, the global notice in $wgSiteNotice is displayed (if defined).
- Otherwise, no notice is displayed.
Dismissing[edit | edit source]
If Extension:DismissableSiteNotice is installed, registered users can hide any site notice by clicking
[dismiss] on the notice. For an individual user to recover a previously dismissed site notice, they should delete the cookie
dismissSiteNotice for www.mediawiki.org in their browser.
To show the site notice again, even for those who have dismissed it, sysops should increment the number in MediaWiki:Sitenotice id (this redisplays the notice for everyone regardless of whether the actual notice has been edited or not).
CentralNotice[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Help:Edit notice
- m:Fundraising/2006/Sitenotice Q4 page explains how to customize the site notice on local projects.