Phabricator is an open-source software development platform used for project management, bug reporting, feature requests, and code review in an integrated fashion.
Get started[edit | edit source]
You can also watch a screencast about handling tasks/bugs.
First missions include
- Creating your account
- Creating a task
- If you maintain projects: Creating a project and learning about project management in Phabricator.
For Phabricator support and camaraderie, join.
There is a test instance at phab-01.wmflabs.org. Use it to learn and experiment, not for serious work.
Get involved[edit | edit source]
We are working on the migration of several developer infrastructure services to one single Phabricator instance. It's a very exciting project! We welcome your help.
- Learn to use Phabricator. Play and test in our Labs instance as much as you want. Check out the documentation and short videos on Phabricator/Help.
- Git and Gerrit users are welcome to the Gerrit-Migration project. We need help learning about the possibilities of Phabricator in this area: what is missing, what exists in a different way, what is remarkably interesting, which are the blockers that should be reported upstream?
Report bugs and feature requests[edit | edit source]
We have two different projects to handle Phabricator related tasks:
- Phabricator contains all the tasks specific to Wikimedia Phabricator: our processes, aspects related to migration of Wikimedia data, local customizations...
- Phabricator-upstream is used for tasks that should be handled upstream at https://secure.phabricator.com: generic Phabricator bugs and feature requests which are not specific to Wikimedia's Phabricator instance.
See the Wikimedia Phabricator bug workflow for more details.
Developers[edit | edit source]
As a PHP developer, you're welcome to contribute enhancements and new features upstream. Learn more at Phabricator/Code.
Weekly update / maintenance window[edit | edit source]
Phabricator doesn't have releases, and therefore it is up to us to decide how close do we want to follow the upstream version. There is a weekly window for updates and other maintenance tasks on Wednesdays at 15:00 UTC (check your timezone) and users will get redirected to Phabricator/Maintenance. We don't update Phabricator every week, but we reserve us the right to do it. The expected downtime during this window goes from 0 to 30 minutes.
Migration timeline[edit | edit source]
Beware, the Phabricator team may change this sequence as plans evolve (although we try not to).
- Deployment of https://legalpad.wikimedia.org/ (project) Done
- Migration of data from fab.wmflabs.org to phabricator.wikimedia.org Done
- New test instance in Labs open to everyone, blocked by Done
- phabricator.wikimedia.org open to all Wikimedia users Done
- Test instance containing Bugzilla reports automatically migrated
- Done end of Bugzilla preview feedback period, announcement of Bugzilla migration date.
- Bugzilla migration (1-4 days downtime, see detailed timeline), blocked by
- Community review of the Bugzilla migration test instance (two weeks) Done
- Bugzilla to Phabricator import script Done
- Elasticsearch (but temporarily reverted) Done
- Move Bugzilla to old-bugzilla.wikimedia.org as a read-only instance Done
- Automatic redirects from Bugzilla reports to Phabricator tasks Done
- Wiki templates for Bugzilla pointing to Phabricator Done
- Gerrit plugin to sync tasks with code reviews Done
- IRC bots reporting Phabricator activity Done
- How to organize projects Done
- How to claim Bugzilla reports Done
- Documentation for Bugzilla users Done
- Communication plan Done
- Done Approval from Wikimedia Foundation Engineering management
- Done Reminder: Bugzilla migrated projects and tasks must be Visible To Public
- RT migration (8 hours downtime of Phabricator; blocked by Done except for minor queues, 2014-12-18 00:00UTC-08:00UTC: Phabricator RT migration:
- Burndown charts & migration from Scrumbugz Done
- In progress Define main tasks (epics) for code review in Phabricator
- In progress, before 2015-06-31? Total migration from Mingle; cf. T825
- To do, before 2015-06-31? Total migration from Trello; cf. T825
- To do, before 2015-07-31? Proof of concept of code review in Phabricator
- To do, before 2015-07-31? Total migration from gitblit
- To do, before 2015-12-31? Total migration from Gerrit
- To do, before 2015-12-31? Total migration from Jenkins