Release status: beta
|Description||Allows quick mass uploading of large files.|
|Author(s)||Edward Z. Yang, Christian Neubauer|
|Download||MediaWiki 1.7 - 1.15: see here
Translate the UploadLocal extension if possible
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
UploadLocal is an extension which allows the "uploading" of files already residing on the server into MediaWiki, by a special page on your mediawiki. This has numerous practical applications, notably the streamlining of the upload of large files, renaming of image files, and the ability to mass upload. Note that for this extension to be useful, the user must be able to put files in a directory on the server.
Installation[edit | edit source]
- Download the files from Git or download a snapshot (select your version of MediaWiki) and place the files under $IP/extensions/UploadLocal
cd extensions git clone https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/p/mediawiki/extensions/UploadLocal.git
2. Add to the end of LocalSettings.php:
3. Installation can now be verified through Special:Version on your wiki
Optional settings[edit | edit source]
The default folder where the upload files are uploaded, is set by
$wgUploadLocalDirectory, so you can set it to whatever you want. The default is:
$wgUploadLocalDirectory = $IP . '/extensions/UploadLocal/data';
Also, the extension adds a new right called
uploadlocal and a new user group, uploader, along with sysop, are allowed to use this extension. You can change this however you want, although remember, in order for the extension to be useful, the user must also have FTP access.
Use[edit | edit source]
Upload files (via FTP) into the directory
/extensions/UploadLocal/data (or whatever folder you set
Then go to Special:UploadLocal and you should see the files you uploaded listed there.
Todo[edit | edit source]
Make the extension backwards compatible with 1.16.Done
- If uploads are disabled, the page does not have a page title.
Check for disallowed file extensions and show an appropriate error message.Done If a file is not allowed because it has a generic filename (DSC0001.jpg) the uploader reports that the file already exists which is the wrong error message.Done
- Show a thumbnail of the image on the upload form?
See also[edit | edit source]
- ImportImages.php, MediaWiki native PHP import script
- Commonist, a Java tool that makes it easy to upload large numbers of files using HTTP. This tool doesn't need another extension, but is Commons specific and slower.
- Image File Migrator, a Python tool that can download files from one wiki and upload them to another.