Release status: unmaintained
|Description||Back-end for the MediaWiki Lucene-based search engine|
|Author(s)||Brion Vibber and Kate Turner|
|License||The MIT License|
Translate the MWSearch extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
The MWSearch extension is a MediaWiki backend to fetch search results from MediaWiki Lucene-based search engine.
Note: Used by Wikimedia Foundation until 2014, but to be replaced by Extension:CirrusSearch.
Installation[edit | edit source]
- If you haven't already, install the Extension:Lucene-search extension first. That is the search backend that this extension uses, it is required.
- Download and extract the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
require_once "$IP/extensions/MWSearch/MWSearch.php"; $wgSearchType = 'LuceneSearch'; $wgLuceneHost = '192.168.0.1'; // IP address of the server $wgLucenePort = 8123; $wgLuceneSearchVersion = 2.1; // comment this out if you are using the old version 2.0
- Install the search engine
- Done! Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
To load-balance with from multiple servers:
Installing the search engine[edit | edit source]
Lucene-search daemon needs to be running on the specified host(s). For instructions see Extension:Lucene-search.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Extension:CirrusSearch uses w:Elasticsearch rather than lsearchd as the search backend. WMF is testing it as a possible replacement for MWSearch.
- Overview of search engine features - contains information on advanced search features provided by this extension.
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|