Release status: beta
|Implementation||Ajax, Special page, MyWiki|
|Description||Adds the ability to save a draft of a page on the server while editing.|
|Latest version||0.2 (2013-10-07)|
|MediaWiki||1.14alpha and higher|
Translate the Drafts extension if possible
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
The Drafts extension adds the ability to save a draft of a page on the server while editing. Users must be logged in to save drafts, as they are tied to their user account. Drafts are always discarded when they are used to save the page they came from.
User Interface[edit | edit source]
Saving Drafts[edit | edit source]
|Save Draft Button||
Accessing Drafts[edit | edit source]
If a draft has been saved the user can access them by
- Returning to the edit screen for article they saved the draft of, where a list of existing drafts for that user and article will appear at the top of the edit page.
- Visiting the drafts special page (Special:Drafts) where there is a list of all drafts for that user.
Edge Cases[edit | edit source]
- When a page is moved, the drafts which refer to that page are moved with it
- When a draft is created for a new page but the page is never saved, the draft will still be available for creating the page and will retain the title and namespace
- When a draft is created for a page and the page is then deleted, the draft will remain, and the behavior will then be just as for drafts of uncreated pages
Draft Expiration[edit | edit source]
Drafts automatically expire if not modified for longer specific length of time (configurable). To prevent excessively frequent modifications to the database, these drafts are only actually pruned from the database a fraction of the times (configurable) which a request for a list of drafts is made. Even if pruning never takes place, expired drafts will not be accessible to users.
Installation[edit | edit source]
- Download and extract the files in a directory called
extensions/folder. If you're a developer and this extension is in a Git repository, then instead you should clone the repository.
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
require_once( "$IP/extensions/Drafts/Drafts.php" );
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- Done – Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
The extension needs its own table within the MediaWiki database, and this is the reason you have to execute the update.php script. However, you may be able to save executing the update script if you manually import the contents of the extensions/Drafts/Drafts.sql file into your database, but don't do it directly with mysql because the SQL file itself relies on MediaWiki variables for finding the correct database prefix and table options.
Configuration[edit | edit source]
The following parameters can be set by defining values for the following variables in your LocalSettings.php file.
|$egDraftsAutoSaveWait||Seconds to wait before automatically saving the draft, if $egDraftsAutoSaveInputBased is set, the user needs to be inactive for this time, for autosave to work||120 (2 minutes)|
|$egDraftsAutoSaveTimeout||Seconds to wait until giving up on a response from the server||10 (use 0 to disable)|
|$egDraftsAutoSaveInputBased||If true the auto save is based on user input and draft is saved only when user stops typing for the specified time, otherwise it save the draft even if user is typing.||False|
|$egDraftsLifeSpan||Days since last change to keep drafts in the database||30 (about a month)|
|$egDraftsCleanRatio||Ratio of times which drafts should be removed from the database when a list of drafts is requested||1000 (as in once in 1000 times)|