Release status: stable
|Description||Allows AJAX-based polls with <poll> tag|
|Author(s)||Dariusz Siedlecki, Jack Phoenix, Thomas Gries|
|Last version||1.79 (2013-01-01)|
trunk version works with mw trunk
|Database changes||php update.php|
|License||GNU Free Documentation License [sic]|
|Example||Any ShoutWiki site|
|Check usage and version matrix|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
AJAX Poll extension allows one or more AJAX-based polls on MediaWiki pages with <poll> tag.
You can download the extension directly from the MediaWiki source code repository (browse code). You can get:
- One of the extensions tags
Not all extensions have tags. Some extensions have tags for each release, in which case those tags have the same stability as the release. To download a tag
- Go to the tags list
- Click the name of the tag you want to download
- Click "snapshot"
- The latest version of one of the extensions branches
Each extension has a master branch containing the latest code (might be unstable). Extensions can have further branches as well.
- Go to the branches list
- Click the branch name
- Click "snapshot"
- A snapshot made during the release of a MediaWiki version.
This might be unstable and is not guaranteed to work with the associated MediaWiki version.
After you've got the code, save it into the extensions/AJAXPoll directory of your wiki.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can obtain the extension, with all its tags and branches, as follows:
cd extensions git clone
- Download and extract the files in a directory called "
AJAXPoll" in your extensions/ folder.
- Add the following code to your LocalSettings.php (at the bottom)
require_once( "$IP/extensions/AJAXPoll/AJAXPoll.php" );
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
# if you want to restrict the poll # use the following code lines after calling the AJAXPoll extension # to restrict to user group (example) # $wgGroupPermissions['*']['ajaxpoll-vote'] = false; # $wgGroupPermissions['user']['ajaxpoll-vote'] = true;
<poll> Do you like this poll ? Yes, it is awesome. Yes. No, I do not like polls. </poll>
If the first line after <poll> is "STATS", then some statistics about the wiki and its polls will be displayed. These statistics are not localizable and this whole feature will probably be removed (or at least refactored, but probably removed) in the future.
To-do list 
- List of open bugs
- add/implement options
bug 35118 option to allow only users with edit rights to vote, or only logged-in userimplemented in version 1.63 (r113355)
- bug 35119 AJAXPoll: add option to show poll results only for users who have voted}}
- bug 35120 AJAXPoll as simple ranking tool (add a different skin for poll vote and result layout)
- a new permission / user rights group for a new Special page for Poll maintenance (list, stop, delete polls)