Release status: stable
|Implementation||Page action, Extended syntax, User rights, Skin, Ajax|
|Description||The WYSIWYG extension allows the easy insertion and enhanced editing of formatted data like tables, headings, enumerations etc. while they are displayed exactly like the final output.|
|Last version||1.7.0 (2012-04-25)|
|MediaWiki|| 1.16.x and|
1.17.x only seems to work with 1.21.1, too (see notes in download section)
|Download||see download section|
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
The WYSIWYG extension enables a more intuitive editing of pages on a MediaWiki-based site. When this extension is installed, the tab 'Edit' in the command bar on top of every page leads directly in the wysiwyg editing mode.
It uses a special version of the CKeditor that outputs wiki text rather than the usual HTML that caused problems for MediaWiki integrations in the past.
|Warning:||Be sure that you check the dependencies for this extensions. Other combinations will most likely fail.|
Features of the WYSIWYG extension[edit | edit source]
The WYSIWYG extension supports the following:
- importing / insertion of tables, images, formatting stuff like enumerations, font style etc. as well as links
- real copy and paste without postprocessing
- working with the known Word-like toolbar arrangement
- using special characters
- real time spell-checking with recommender function
- undo/redo and find and replace functionality
Usage[edit | edit source]
* Internet Explorer 8,
* Google Chrome
Download[edit | edit source]
- WYSIWYG (dependencies, download, help)
|1.18.x||User made (experimental)||2.5MB|
|1.20.2||User made (experimental)||2.5MB|
|1.20.2||User patched (PHP 5.4.8 compatible)||3MB|
|1.21.1||User patched (PHP 5.4.8 compatible)||3MB|| Works on MediaWiki 1.21.1
Patch #1 Remove (or comment) the two lines that contains wfLoadExtensionMessages( 'CKeditor' ); (probably line 345 and 532) in WYSIWYG/CKeditor.body.php and use these settings: Thread:Extension talk:WYSIWYG/Yes: Working with MW-1.21+ with some settings.
Patch #2: Fix one line in WYSIWYG/CKeditorLinker.php to prevent 404/Forbidden error when hitting CANCEL:
Installation on Mediawiki 1.17.x to 1.20.x[edit | edit source]
For several weeks the developer's site was down, so instructions on installation were retrieved from Google cache and published here. Please use at your own risk.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
- MediaWiki 1.17.x to 1.20.x
- May not work if you use the FileLinkExtension extension
Installation[edit | edit source]
1. Download WYSIWYG extension from Sourceforge (note this provides wysiwyg-1.7.0_1, recommend using the 1.21.1 download provided above)
2. Extract the zip-file
3. In the folder "wysiwyg-1.7.0_0/extensions/" you'll find the "WYSIWYG/" folder, copy this into "<your wiki folder>/extensions/"
4. Add the following line to your LocalSettings.php to initialize the extension:
5. Define the group rights, the easiest is to grant all users access:
or only for registered users:
'Now the WYSIWYG Extension is installed and ready to use.'