Release status: stable
|Implementation||User identity, Special page, Hook|
|Description||Provides a special page that allows user accounts to be renamed|
|Author(s)||Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmasontalk|
|Last version||continuous updates|
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
The Renameuser extension provides a special page which allows authorized users to rename user accounts. This will cause page histories, etc. to be updated. If you want to rename an account "into" another, already existing one, you need the User Merge and Delete extension.
Download[edit | edit source]
You can download the extension directly from the MediaWiki source code repository (browse code). You can get:
- One of the extensions tags
Not all extensions have tags. Some extensions have tags for each release, in which case those tags have the same stability as the release. To download a tag
- Go to the tags list
- Click the name of the tag you want to download
- Click "snapshot"
- The latest version of one of the extensions branches
Each extension has a master branch containing the latest code (might be unstable). Extensions can have further branches as well.
- Go to the branches list
- Click the branch name
- Click "snapshot"
- A snapshot made during the release of a MediaWiki version.
This might be unstable and is not guaranteed to work with the associated MediaWiki version.
After you've got the code, save it into the extensions/Renameuser directory of your wiki.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can obtain the extension, with all its tags and branches, as follows:
cd extensions git clone
Installation[edit | edit source]
- Download and extract the files in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
- Done – Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Useage[edit | edit source]
- As a bureaucrat, access the Special:Renameuser page
- Enter the name of the user to be renamed, and the desired new name, toggle the options to move user/talk pages and their subpages and to create redirects as desired, and click OK
The user will be renamed, and (if the appropriate option was checked) the user page, user talk page and all their subpages will be moved as well.
$wgMaximumMovedPagesparameter. The extension will also move all
jsand move-protected pages.
You can grant other groups the right to rename users, for example:
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['renameuser'] = true;
- In case CentralAuth is installed, you'll get a warning if you try to rename a local user from an account attached to a global account or to a username reserved by a global account; a check box to rename anyway will be provided (this requires caution). At the moment, global account renames must be accomplished by local renames on all attached wikis, possibly followed by an account remerge.
- You will not be able to rename users to invalid usernames (which doesn't equal usernames which match a blacklist but includes for instance reserved usernames).
RenameUserComplete hook[edit | edit source]
This extension introduces and invokes the RenameUserComplete hook to notify other extensions of user renames.
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|
|Language:||English • 日本語 • 한국어 • português • português do Brasil|